St. Patrick’s Day has become one of our favorite holidays. Surrounding the holiday are festivals, parades, special foods, music, and dancing – all filled with green! Another big part of the holiday is green beer. But, let’s stop for a second and think about how the increase of drinking on this holiday affects our safety on the road. Celebrating is more fun when we know our roads are safe on St. Patrick’s Day.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA), 252 people died in car accidents between the years 2011-2015 during the St. Patrick’s Day holiday. Keep in mind, car accidents are not the only danger when driving with a buzz. Driving after drinking that green beer could empty your bank account. There’s car repairs, hospital bills, legal fees, bail, higher insurance rates, fines, court costs, and lost time at work. The average DUI costs about $10,000. That cab ride doesn’t seem so expensive in comparison. You don’t have to avoid the fun, just avoid driving if you drink. Keep Roanoke roads safe on St. Patrick’s Day!
To avoid life and financial costs, follow these five rules:
- Before going out, designate a sober driver. You drink or you drive. You can’t do both.
- If you get a buzz and don’t have a designated driver, don’t risk your luck! Call a cab, call a friend or family member, or take the bus.
- If you see a friend who is too drunk to drive, take their keys. Share a cab or call a cab for them.
- There’s safe rides in Roanoke to call too! Big Lick Boomerang is a new business in town that will drive you home, and even get your car home too!
- If you see a driver on the road that is obviously driving impaired, it’s a smart choice call the police. You may just save a life.
If you’re planning on hitting the pubs for a night on the town, remember you’re in control of your own Irish luck. Plan before you party! #BuzzedDrivingisDrunkDriving #SafeRoads